2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and still cool
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup extra-crunchy peanut butter
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup dry-roasted salted peanuts, ground in a food processor to breadcrumb consistency
1) Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions, preheat to 350. Line baking sheets with wax paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
3) Beat butter until creamy. Add the sugars, beat until fluffy, stopping to scrape the bowl down as necessary. Beat in the peanut butter until fully mixed, then the eggs 1 at a time, then the vanilla. Gently stir the dry ingredients into the peanut butter mixture. Add the ground peanuts and stir until just incorporated.
4) Roll the dough into 2" balls, roughly 2 generous tablespoons of dough each. Place them on prepared baking sheets, 2 1/2" apart. Press with fork to make grid design.
5) Bake until cookies are puffed and slightly brown around the edges, rotating the cookie sheets front to back and top to bottom halfway through. Total time is 10-12 minutes. The cookies will not look fully baked. Cool on cookie sheets until set, then move to wire cooling rack with a wide spatula until completely cooled.